Thursday 17 April 2014

Pre-Market Brief

Good morning. Futures are a touch lower, sp -1pt, we're set to open at 1861. Precious metals are flat. Equity bulls could sustain a daily/weekly close in the 1850/45 zone, without doing much damage to yesterdays channel break.


sp'60min


Summary

*post earnings reaction, IBM is -4%, GOOG -2%. Would not surprise me to see both close marginally positive.
--

Having read around a bit, I'm somewhat bemused at how bearish some still are. We have a down channel - from the sp'1897 high, that is clearly broken, and we've seen the sp' put in 3 consecutive daily net gains.

Further, the VIX is again crushed, and that certainly supports the notion of a rally into May.

I'd actually consider picking up a small long-index block today, but then...a 3 day weekend, and I probably won't. To be clear, I currently have a 'no shorts, unless sp'1814 low is taken out' rule.

I realise some of you out there are still resolutely bearish, but really, I think yesterday's gains were pretty decisive.

--
Tis almost the weekend..thank the gods.
-

9.21am.. all those getting excited at the GOOG decline last evening...well, its just -1% right now. 


9.40am.. RED indexes.....RED VIX.. in the 13s.

Doesn't bode well for the equity bears.