Friday, 22 February 2013

10am update - morning jump higher

So much for the two day decline. Market is already up 8pts to sp'1510. Unless this rally fails later today, its going to be a truly dire end to the week for the bears. Absolutely annoying as hell. Dollar is flat, metals a touch weak, and the VIX is already 5% lower.


sp'daily5



vix'daily3


Summary

There has been so much doomer talk in the last two days, and yet here we are again, a mere 20pts from the recent highs, and it won't take much of a news story to ramp this nonsense right back to the Tuesday levels.

VIX is already -5%, if we can't close at least moderately green, then once again, its all been a  complete waste of time.

Just how are we going to get consistant declines whilst the POMO $ are flooding this market?

Ohh, thats right, no one out there has an answer to that question..because there is NO answer.

Bears...in complete denial.

Strong Dollar..pressuring the US markets

Whilst the indexes managed their second consecutive decline, perhaps more importantly the USD climbed again, and briefly broke the highs from mid-November.  If the USD can get a weekly close above 81.50, it bodes badly for the bulls next week.


USD, daily



USD, weekly



WTIC Oil, daily


Summary

I've seen a fair few chartists today highlight the Euro, breaking trend support. Suffice to say, I don't think it will go much lower in the near term. Same goes for Mr Dollar, which today saw its first brief move >81.50.

WTIC Oil closed the day @ 92.99. I don't expect it to break the $90 threshold.
--

Target zone sp'1490/80

With two daily index declines in a row, a third looks very likely tomorrow.  Best guess, we at least hit sp'1490 intra-day tomorrow. A close in the 1480s looks somewhat unlikely.
--

Dr Copper needs to hold $3.50


With the stronger dollar, its not surprising to see downward moves in most commodities, and Copper is no exception. What is interesting is that its now very close to breaking the lower wedge/rising support line. Any close in the 3.40s - whether tomorrow or next week, would be somewhat suggestive that something new is underway, rather than just a tiny pull back.

Those considering 'dip buying' should keep a very close eye on whether Copper holds above that line.


sp'daily7 - fib levels


I'm guessing this is merely a sub wave'4 of the very large wave that began in mid November.

If that is the case, we'll get stuck somewhere between 1490/1475 within the next few days..and then jump higher..breaking new highs in March.

I have the small hope that by late April, it will be prime shopping time for a major re-short, with some serious downside action in May.

Goodnight from London

Daily Index Cycle update

The US market closed lower for the second consecutive day, although the declines were only moderate. The SP' slipped 0.6% lower, but clawed back higher to hold the big 1500 level. Near term trend looks moderately weak, target zone is 1490/80, with VIX 17s


Dow



SP'daily5



Trans


Summary

So, a second day lower...surprising?

Bears have been waiting for some weeks for a multi-day wave lower, and we're finally getting one. How many more days to go?

I would be very surprised if we go much below 1480/75 - where there is VERY strong rising support seen clearly on the daily charts. My best guess is we'll be flooring no later than next Mon/Tuesday.

Considering the POMO, I would guess we'll still see further highs in March/April.

A little more later