It appears from a few news organisations that the NYSE and NASDAQ are planning to re-open Wednesday morning.
Another overnight ramp?
After last nights 18pt swing from the ES 1393 low, and with the Zerohedge story on the Canadian market's last hour ramp, it appears we might gap higher 1% at the open of tonight's futures wheel (7pm EST)
So..it is entirely possible we'll be trading around sp'1425/30 sometime tomorrow, which is of course just utterly insane.
sp'daily5
Summary
First soft resistance is the declining daily 10MA @ 1432. A daily close over that, whether tomorrow or later this week would be pretty devastating to the bears.
Having fallen just 4% - an embarrassingly small decline, are we now set for a ramp into, and post election? Are new index highs due within the next 2 trading weeks?
However, the bigger weekly charts still say 'hell NO!', but last nights action sure doesn't bode well for the bears.
sp'weekly, rainbow
I am most definitely not looking forward to the re-open, as I was last night.
More later, if the futures do anything other than ramp 'to da moon'.
Tuesday, 30 October 2012
Overnight ramp - indexes back to flat
Overnight futures turned after midnight, with a swing higher of 18 sp' points, we're back to effectively flat on most indexes. There is noticeable dollar weakness.
sp'daily5
Summary
It is currently unknown if we will open Wednesday. There are end-month institutional reasons why some want the market open, and some options expire (I believe).
We might get a 3-4 hour electronic session tomorrow.
Yet, considering the subway flooding, and so many other issues, I'd not be surprised if they wait a few extra days, even into next week.
RE: futures, we were trading down to effectively sp'1399/98 last night, so the important Sept'3rd low has not yet been breached, even in overnight futures.
Bears need to see a clear drop of sp'16 points to break the key level.
--
More later...once we get the next NYSE update* - MARKET STATUS
*the NYSE seem to be missing their website editor though, they've not even updated their page since the Sunday night update.
--
sp'daily5
Summary
It is currently unknown if we will open Wednesday. There are end-month institutional reasons why some want the market open, and some options expire (I believe).
We might get a 3-4 hour electronic session tomorrow.
Yet, considering the subway flooding, and so many other issues, I'd not be surprised if they wait a few extra days, even into next week.
RE: futures, we were trading down to effectively sp'1399/98 last night, so the important Sept'3rd low has not yet been breached, even in overnight futures.
Bears need to see a clear drop of sp'16 points to break the key level.
--
More later...once we get the next NYSE update* - MARKET STATUS
*the NYSE seem to be missing their website editor though, they've not even updated their page since the Sunday night update.
--
Monday, 29 October 2012
US Markets Closed Tuesday
The US markets will remain CLOSED Tuesday, and 'might' open for limited hours on Wednesday.
NYSE updates - MARKET STATUS
Futures:
The ES currently frozen @ 1400, -7pts.
So, we're currently set to open @ 1405, although I expect a further drop in overnight futures.
Oil, and the broader commodities are all considerably lower, and this indicates further falls in the indexes are very likely.
--
Something to consider..'if' we can open for Wednesday
Sp'monthly, rainbow
Summary
If we do open Wednesday, if only for a few hours, it will be a very important morning.
Bears should be seeking at least a test of the monthly 10MA, currently @ sp'1379. However, that is a pretty steep 33pts lower.
It IS viable for a gap down of that size, although we could instead open down 20/25, and melt lower into the closing hour around 1pm (if we're even open!)
--
*we have key econ-data, the Chicago PMI - due Wednesday morning, I still expect that to be released.
However, the Friday jobs data now looks likely to be delayed into next week...probably AFTER the US election.
-
More later today, especially if the Futures can more decisively take a cliff dive overnight.
--
UPDATE 3.50pm - Futures will open up at 7pm EST...as normal
UPDATE 6.14pm (EST) - Futures, ES -5 @ 1397.
Certainly nothing dramatic so far. I'll only get a little excited if we can trade into the low 1380s by the morning.
UPDATE 9.47pm: (unsubstanciated rumour) via CNN, US NYSE trading room floor.. water level: 3ft.
This is pretty bad, and I can't imagine the bigger implications. The chances of opening this week just dropped significantly. Urgh.
UPDATE 10.19pm - seems the CNN report was entirely wrong. NYSE is still dry..the bull has not drowned. Futures are still weak though, ES is 1397*
*bears need to see ES 1391/90 to see a clear break of the low from September'1st.
NYSE updates - MARKET STATUS
Futures:
The ES currently frozen @ 1400, -7pts.
So, we're currently set to open @ 1405, although I expect a further drop in overnight futures.
Oil, and the broader commodities are all considerably lower, and this indicates further falls in the indexes are very likely.
--
Something to consider..'if' we can open for Wednesday
Sp'monthly, rainbow
Summary
If we do open Wednesday, if only for a few hours, it will be a very important morning.
Bears should be seeking at least a test of the monthly 10MA, currently @ sp'1379. However, that is a pretty steep 33pts lower.
It IS viable for a gap down of that size, although we could instead open down 20/25, and melt lower into the closing hour around 1pm (if we're even open!)
--
*we have key econ-data, the Chicago PMI - due Wednesday morning, I still expect that to be released.
However, the Friday jobs data now looks likely to be delayed into next week...probably AFTER the US election.
-
More later today, especially if the Futures can more decisively take a cliff dive overnight.
--
UPDATE 3.50pm - Futures will open up at 7pm EST...as normal
UPDATE 6.14pm (EST) - Futures, ES -5 @ 1397.
Certainly nothing dramatic so far. I'll only get a little excited if we can trade into the low 1380s by the morning.
UPDATE 9.47pm: (unsubstanciated rumour) via CNN, US NYSE trading room floor.. water level: 3ft.
This is pretty bad, and I can't imagine the bigger implications. The chances of opening this week just dropped significantly. Urgh.
UPDATE 10.19pm - seems the CNN report was entirely wrong. NYSE is still dry..the bull has not drowned. Futures are still weak though, ES is 1397*
*bears need to see ES 1391/90 to see a clear break of the low from September'1st.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)






