Friday 23 May 2014

Volatility continues to melt lower

With equities breaking new historic highs, the VIX continued to melt lower, settling -5.6% @ 11.36. Near term outlook is for VIX to remain very low, with a further break to the 10s..or even 9s by mid June - not least if sp'1920s or higher. Across the week, the VIX declined -8.7%


VIX'daily3


VIX'weekly


VIX'monthly


Summary

*I thought I'd provide another look at the giant monthly, which really does give some perspective on just how bizarre the last few years have been.
-

So..I do expect VIX to remain low for a further few weeks. I'm really not expecting any major spike until the next FOMC of June'18. A return to the VIX 20s seems highly probable this summer, and I will most certainly be looking to pick up a large VIX call block...but not....yet.

If the last few years have taught us anything, there is no hurry, right?

more later on the indexes...